Sol2010 is offline Member

Exclamation Crucial Security Reviews

With the terrible and very sad news of the recent hacking disaster that has hit DistributeIT - resulting in their business collapse - I'm in the process of reviewing all my systems and third party relationships, in terms of security.

I currently have a reseller account with you and would be keen to hear about whether you've been affected by the above, and what additional security measures you may be taking (or reviewing) in light of this and other high profile security breaches (e.g. dropbox, sony and so the list goes on).

In particular, it would be good to get some reassurance about what offsite backup policy is right now (I know it's a changing world) - as reading through the whirlpool posts (all 100 pages of them) this seems to have been the major problem here. Perhaps you could indicate what offsite backup options may be available to users independently too.

I've been with you guys a while now and while I'm happy and have not had any major issues occur - as the recent blog on Xero mentions - It's good to be paranoid about data security!
    Last edited by Sol2010; 24-06-2011 at 02:58 PM.

ross is offline Customer Rep

Hi Sol,

Thanks for your post.

You may wish to have a flick through the following two other posts of a similar nature to your query.

1 - DR plans / systems
    2 - DistributeIT

The thing to note is you are on a basic Reseller Service, which we do not provide off-site backups for. As per some of the other posts I have responded too, we take cPanel backups as well as use the R1Soft software to backup our Servers.

We do not offer off-site backups for our Reseller Service at this time, as that would not fit into the current pricing model.

I would however note there are third party's out there that provide remote backup space and support cPanel / WHM. You could also setup some sort of script that copies that data from your Reseller to an external location such as VPS or something along those lines.

We always recommend Customers take their own backup's as well, as there is no 100% sure way we can guarantee that the backups we've taken is 100% accurate. Backups do corrupt and backups do fail, unfortunately it's not feasible to check every single cPanel backup is 100% good.
    Last edited by ross; 24-06-2011 at 04:13 PM.
    Cheers,
    Ross

Crucial Paradigm

Hi Ross, thanks for your reply.

I would however note there are third party's out there that provide remote backup space and support cPanel / WHM. You could also setup some sort of script that copies that data from your Reseller to an external location such as VPS or something along those lines.

I have about 40 accounts and growing and would like to find an automated solution.

Would you be able to suggest any links for these third parties?

Most interested in the script you mention - care to name them?

I already run automysqlbackup.sh script which works great for the DBs, but much more interested in something that would provide account file backups.

Thanks
    Sol

Hi Sol,

Thanks for your update.

I do not know any off the top of my head but I will see what the Team can recommend.
    Cheers,
    Ross

Crucial Paradigm

Hi Sol,

Though I am still waiting to hear back from some of the Team, one mention I have seen is,

cPanel Auto Backup - Automated Website Backup Service
    Cheers,
    Ross

Crucial Paradigm

gnif is offline Junior Member

If your interested I have a script I am using for automated backups of cPanel machines for my clients to Amazon S3 storage, if you would like more details please PM me.

Thanks

I found this one which seems to work well.

WHMEasyBackup.com

gschaefer is offline Junior Member

Red face Thanks for this sugesting this WHM backup solution

important topic.. thanks heaps dude for suggesting this WHM backup script..

It's the best $10 anyone could ever spend!!

PS: sharing something back I found which is almost as cool is this fantastic perl script to block entire countires using IPTABLES. Very low overhead and better than a bash script or using htacccess deny rules. (exceptions can be made though)

For more details see this thread I started.
    Stopping spammers and hackers

cheers - glen